Re: Books on music history

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug Whitten on April 13, 2003 at 21:40:18:

In Reply to: Books on music history posted by Hiram Diaz on April 13, 2003 at 20:38:27:

The Grout is the standard text book used all over the US for Music History, but there are many others. One of my favorites is by Stolpa... I don't have it readily available to give you the correct reference, but in short, it is a text on music history that actually acknowledges that there are women and non-white guys in history.

Don't be freaked out about a lack of prior knowledge on music history. It may be helpful to have some basic understanding of time periods (Baroque, Classical, Romantic, etc) but it is not crucial. If you were expected to know about it before college, then why would you need to take it while in college? History is a broad subject with many interpretations of what the "facts" really are. The professor will most likely expect that as a new freshman, you have not been taught much about music history (theory, etc).

It is great that you are trying to get a headstart. I would recommend researching the music that you are playing right now as a primer for collegiate music history classes. You could memorize the Grout, but if it doesn't mean anything to you it is just trivia.

I wish I were as motivated to be prepared for college as you seem to be!

Doug Whitten
Doctoral Candidate
Boise State University

Follow Ups: