Re: Stavanger Tour

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lothian Hamilton on April 14, 2003 at 14:27:50:

In Reply to: Stavanger Tour posted by Dan Schultz on April 14, 2003 at 12:39:25:

I caught their performance at the NABBA Championships in Little Rock on Saturday, and it was one of the most engrossing 30 minutes of music I think I've ever heard. They played the test piece for the Championship Section, Peter Graham's Montage, and two movements of Philip Sparke's Hymn of the Highlands. Besides displaying awesome technique and stunning dynamic control, they gave very musical readings of these difficult pieces. They even had on-stage choreography for the Sparke piece which the audience enjoyed, even if it was lost on the judges (who are behind screens). I was expecting them to do well (they are the current Norwegian champions, and Norway has perhaps the most active and competitive brass band scene outside of the UK), but I was still bowled over by their performance. I doubt anyone who heard their peformance was surprised when they were announced as the winners and North American Champions! If they are coming to a venue near you, check them out!

As a related note, the Grimethorpe Colliery Band was the feature at the NABBA gala concert Saturday evening, and they continue their tour this Wednesday with a concert at Carnegie Hall in NYC. I would encourage all TubeNet readers in the area to make every effort to see them.

Lothian "Who got to hang out with a bunch of the folks from Grimethorpe and Stavanger at the Prairie Brass Band's post-NABBA party, and was just going to sleep as Stavanger was boarding the bus to Indiana at 4:30 AM" Hamilton

www.prairiebrass.org

Follow Ups: