Re: Choices

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Todd S. Malicoate on April 15, 2003 at 00:43:02:

In Reply to: Choices posted by Ben King on April 14, 2003 at 20:42:29:

*I am entering college in the fall and am, thus, looking for a horn.*

Why? Are you going to a college with no tubas? Are your parents buying you a horn for graduation? Take some free advice for what it's worth - use the money you were going to spend on a new tuba and finance that much more of your education. Figure out if you want to devote a career to tuba playing. The new horn will still be available later.

*I am looking at a Meinl Weston 2145 that is in near mint condition for what I have found to be a rather reasonable price. From reading the archives on this board it seems like it's a great horn for most settings but not necessarily for large orchestras.*

There is entirely too much talk on this board about which horn is right for which ensemble/joh/situation. Learn to sound good on what you have.

*I currently play a Mirafone 186 CC and am craving just a bit more presence from a horn.*

This to me is analogous to a Kia owner wanting just a bit more sophistication from a car. Unbelievable...

*I apparently have a fear of committment because I've been putting of buying this horn for a while now. Earlier this year I let a HB-21 (a dream horn for me) at almost the same price slip through my hands and now I regret that.*

Does it irritate anyone else here that someone in high school, with the resources to purchase a Hirsbrunner as a "college horn," is complaining about a fear of commitment? Wow...

*Basically, I am asking two things:
A)Does the MW have trouble projecting in a large orchestra?*

Irrelevant. Do you have trouble projecting in a large orchestra?

*B)Will I regret buying this horn and not waiting for another beauty like the HB to come?*

If you base your satisfaction with a new horn by wondering if you could have gotten something better, yes, you will always have regrets.

*Do I really need the power of a HB in the near future?*

Are you auditioning for any major orchestras or a D.C. band in the near future? My guess is probably not. That being said, spend more time in the practice room with X University's best instrument (which, by the way, they will generally take care of the maintenance on) and work on the tools of the trade.

Follow Ups: