Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to stuff a PT-6

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on April 15, 2003 at 14:07:25:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to stuff a PT-6 posted by Mark F. on April 15, 2003 at 13:47:57:

Mark, you and I know each other, and I like and admire you; but from a scientific point of view, your logic suffers a necessary flaw: the person playing the instrument KNOWS what kind of change is expected. It would be impossible NOT to subconciously approach the instrument differently when you know that it is changed -- especially when you expect to HEAR a change. This is not to say that the instrument does NOT change, only that a change of sound is not PROOF that it has changed. The placebo effect cannot be ruled out.

In order to rule out a placebo effect, you need two capable confederates, a player and a listener. Have the player play the instrument for the listener every day, asking the listener to tell you whenever they notice a difference in the sound of the instrument. After a few weeks, change the instrument (invisibly) without telling the player or the listener. If the listener immediately notices the difference when and only when the instrument has been changed, you will have evidence that there is a change. Otherwise, it may be changed, but you don't really have evidence.

This is not to say that making a cosmetic-only change (like, for example, stripping the lacquer) won't have an effect on your playing, just like washing the car seems to make it run better. Mental state is a big part of the picture, and what the horn looks like can be a big part of your mental state. So if a player will have a better mental state with a stripped horn, why fight it?

Joe Baker, whose respect and admiration for Mark suffers not one whit for my disagreement with him on this point.

Follow Ups: