Re: Horn advice

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on April 16, 2003 at 07:13:11:

In Reply to: Horn advice posted by Tim Mayes on April 15, 2003 at 13:45:39:

Tim,
I agree with all the other respondents here. Have you played an Alexander? Have you played a Rudolf Meinl? Have you tried a Gronitz, a Mirafone, a Cerveny, a Besson, or Melton (Meinl- Weston)?
Just because a handful of top orchestra professionals and a number of wanna-be's have a PT-6 or HB-50, does not mean that they are necessary to get the job.

Mike Sanders of the St. Louis Symphony plays an HB-50, but I think you'd find that he has other instruments, too. When we both lived and worked in San Antonio, he sounded marvelous on his Alexanders (CC and F).

At the last two orchestral auditions in this area, the winner of one played a vintage Mirafone 186 CC(with 4 valves!), and the other was won on a Kurath 5/4 CC with air leaks.

I say all that to say this - you need to work and gain experience for years before you will find the ultimate tuba for you, which may be a different instrument from what someone else plays best. If money is no object, I'd suggest that you arrange to fly to Munich, get an apartment, and go to school there, studying with Robert Tucci. There, you would not only have an outstanding tuba teacher, but you could be immersed in the music history all around you, and could also visit Meinl-Weston, Mirafone, Rudolf Meinl, Gronitz, Thein, Hirsbrunner and Alexander. There are wonderful instruments that do not get imported to the US. You could learn a lot by visiting the factories and playing the instruments there.

Say, if money is no object, you should talk to me about the original York 692 CC I'm restoring. . . . guaranteed to make you sound just like Arnold did ;^)

Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: