Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Horn advice

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by On Sotto... on April 17, 2003 at 19:19:44:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Horn advice posted by Rick Denney on April 17, 2003 at 16:34:47:

Rick,

On Sotto Voce...

From my e-mail correspondence with Mike Forbes, I learned that the 6/4 Tuba 2 and 4/4 Tuba 1 has been and is a frequent configuration for them. They may not have used much it in the concert you heard, but I don't want to leave impression that it's something they do for effect only.

Their only recorded release to date is Consequences, which is done with 4/4 Hirshys on both parts.

Interestingly, the reason I was discussing instruments with them was actually pertaining to Tuba 1, where almost everyone uses a bass tuba. But, every now and then you get that BBb or CC guy who can really make music above the staff...and their attitude is one of...if it works, do it.

Hey, why theorize...try out your Holton in a tuba quartet and see if it's as hard to fit in as you think. It wouldn't be the first time the big babe's magic supised you (and I don't care if people hate the word magic).

I can't help but feel that the "muddy" sound we're talking about has a lot more to do with musicianship than instruments, but I know exactly what you mean by the term "sparkle". I also think you've hit on something when you mention the quality of the Euph players as maybe the biggest factor in how broad the tuba 2 sound can afford to be.

Tony "not goint to buy a small tuba, not going to buy a small tuba, not..." E

Follow Ups: