Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: gigbags

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on April 18, 2003 at 10:54:56:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: gigbags posted by Rick Denney on April 18, 2003 at 09:29:29:

Yamaha cases come with backpack straps now?

Other than that, I agree.

My YBB-621S lives and travels in the Yamaha case. It's small, light, and lacks only a good place to put a music folder. When I need to carry a stand, that problem is solved because I carry a Manhasset Voyager and *that* bag is the perfect place to put the music.
A music pouch and backpack straps *would* be nice - but are hardly necessary

My King 2341 lives in a hard case - but it travels locally in a Cronkhite bag. The bag has a snap-on pouch for music and adequate pockets for miscellaneous stuff. I use a small stuff-sack to hold the small items (including mouthpiece) and transfer everything in one step between the bag and the case.

My new car (VW GTI) was not purchased until the salesman demonstrated that the hard case for the 2341 would fit. This requires folding down the rear seats to configure the car as a 2-seat station wagon (my preferred configuration, actually). That's what I do when I go out of town (with the seats down, I can carry the King in a hard case, the Yamaha in a hard case AND an antique helicon in an Altieri gig bag - sorry, no hard case for the helicon!) But, I still have some car pool duties that require putting people in the rear seats, so it's very nice that the King fits neatly in the hatch (along with the Voyager stand, a briefcase, a comoputer, and my wife's Altieri flute bag.

Ordinarily, I routinely transfer the King from the gig bag to the hard case when I bring it home (as Rick once said, I have "large dog issues" with leaving the tuba unprotected at home...). But, on busy weeks it's becoming more common for the King to stay in the car for several days in a row. That means that my son's trombone case is relegated to the rear seats...

I like the fact that the King fits "snugly" into the hatch area. There's room for other small items, but there's not enough space to allow the bag to move appreciably in any direction.

Follow Ups: