Going Back To Small Bore Brass.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charley UK on April 22, 2003 at 06:08:35:

I have had so many nice comments when using old euphoniums in my recitals. People marvel and the sound of these old instruments, and that each one has a different character.

So I was interested in the following magazine article, and have extracted some of the text;

The players in the New Queen's Hall Orchestra in London now discard their modern day instruments and put the clock back nearly 100 years playing on vintage instruments.

Conductor John Boyden says the difference is amazing. "The unamity of attack, the accuracy of execution phenomenal".

"Modern day instruments are so characterless and today's brass sections are so disproportionatley loud".

"If you widen the tubing of woodwind or brass, they become easier to play, but also become extremely loud and their tone colour diluted".

John Boyden launched the 'Classics For Pleasure' record label in 1970 and it soon accounted for one sixth of UK classical recrd sales.

All instruments used date between 1900 / 1910, including strings, woodwind & brass and are all original, including the defects.

"We don't want smoothness & blandness, but colour, vibrancy & danger. That way you get a real performance".

Interesting ?

Follow Ups: