Re: BAT Brass Quintet Test

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Todd Morgan on April 23, 2003 at 20:57:54:

In Reply to: BAT Brass Quintet Test posted by Rick Denney on April 23, 2003 at 14:40:33:

Hi Rick,

When I was in college for my bachelor's degree, I attended Ithaca College, where I studied with David Unland. Dave is the proud owner of a York Master CC, a 6/4 York "Rusk cut", and 2 F tubas (Rudy and Yamaha 822). Dave has the sound that I try to emulate when ever I play. His sound can be described as lush, colorful, dark, round, resonant, etc. After getting his 6/4 York he has consistently played it in the IC brass quintet. The results have been beautiful. The group has a wonderfully big and rich sound and Dave's playing produces a very lush bottom. The only time I recall him playing a F in quintet was when they performed a contemporary piece that was mostly in the higher range of the tuba. I believe the piece went up to a G above the staff. No matter what horn he is playing on, he has this rich resonant sound. I believe (I could be wrong) Dave likes playing on a CC for everything, unless it just makes more sense (because of range, style, genre, etc) to switch to F. So, what is my point? Well...Dave likes to use a CC for just about everything, from baroque to jazz to whatever comes his way and he sounds awesome doing it.

I have had the great opportunity to perform with a group called the "Vine City Six" out of Hammondsport, NY. The group has a tuba player, drummer, trumpet player, clarinet/alto sax player, tenor sax player, and trombonist. The group played mostly jazz and dixie tunes with the occasional march. When I played with that group I used my Yamaha 822 F tuba with a rather large mouthpiece. That horn seemed to suit the group the best. At the time, my other horn was a 6/4 Meinl Weston. I don't think the MW would have been agile enough or have the right sound for such a group. So, I found the opposite to be true of what Rick had said. I know one big difference may be the fact that I was playing an 822 with a 17.5" bell and Rick uses a 621 (I believe) with a 14.5" bell.

While as a student at IC, I had the chance to study with Ed Diefes of the Syracuse Symphony. He owns 3 horns. He has a 6/4 MW, an Alex F, and a Getzen CC. He used his Getzen CC in quintet and he told me he prefers to use the Getzen when playing pop style concerts with the symphony. So, here is someone who splits the difference. :)

Just my $0.02

-Todd "1 horn does the trick...a Conn56J" Morgan

Follow Ups: