Re: Professional Quintet

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark on April 23, 2003 at 23:53:41:

In Reply to: Professional Quintet posted by Howard on April 23, 2003 at 13:04:34:

First, I think Scott's post on deciding what you want to be first is very important. You move to other things as your group develops, but having a vision of where you want to go at the onset I feel is extremely important. This is hard to do as one person much less as five.

In case you don't know, the most important thing in any chamber music setting is to find players that get along. I've been in and seen many groups fold quickly because of personality conflicts...different wants and desires in life and in music...frustrations with other's practice habits, rehearsal techniques and abilities...availability to rehearse and perform....etc... I would make sure the players in your group know they can communicate with each other effectively as the times get tougher.

Next, the key to being a professional musician isn't just how well you can play or even how well your group can play together....it's how consistently well can you play together. Remember, each time you play there are people who are hearing you for the first time. And you know how quick we musicians make our opinions on how someone plays!

A recommendation...often I see groups trying to be cookie cutters of other famous groups. I would find the strnegths in your group and make them very visible. If you have a trumpet player who is a great soloist...find a way to feature him. If you play a great funk tuba...I would find a way to expose it. So on...

As far as your questions...
"What do we have to practice?"
Depending on what you want to do....uh.....ok, everything! Well, what I mean is you should be well-versed in the standards and the common brass quintet tunes. Everything from the Ewalds to Ain't Misbehavin' to Lutoslawski's Mini Overture...you should have a working knowledge of the literature. The pro group I played in always strived for a balance of classical lit., light jazz and flashy tunes and we usually did something to stretch them and us. We went for the energy of the music and wanted the audience to actually feel the same passion for it that we did. At least that's what we went for. I honestly felt they did sometimes. Again, I would read Scott's comments about what your vision should be for you.

"How often should we rehearse?"
Lots and lots! Honestly, there are way too many players in this field and if your group is going to stand out, it will take dedication no matter how good you are. Depending on how the group rehearses I'd say at least a couple of times a week to start. More importantly, everyone!!!! must be there always!!!! Also, I would get some musicians you respect to come listen once you are starting to get comfortable with each other. Not just brass players either. It's amazing how us brass players apologize for each other. How we understand that it's hard to get through a long phrase or that was a tough lick. Musicians who don't understand our boundaries often make comments that are about the music that should make us strive to surpass what is generally accepted in the brass world. It's funny what we do with phrasing when we can do more when asked. Or dynamics, etc...

"How can we improve our intonation all together?"
There are a couple of intonation studies for brass quintets. I think Verne Reynolds wrote one. One of the things we did was match difference tones. The trumpets would play in thirds and only listen to the difference tone produced and tune that tone. Then move on to fifths and so on. I would then play the difference tone pitch. The trumpets had this down so well that when we would play William Tell, the difference tone produced when they were double tonguing in thirds was so loud that it would sound like a sixth instrument in the group. The group sound was energetic and much more like a brass ensemble. I loved playing with those guys!

"How to be a succesful quintet?"
First, determine what that means for you. 20 gigs a year that are all recitals or making $10,000.00 a player in you first year? What do you want to do? I recommend you have a business manager that has incredible accountant skills and can be trusted. You need to find gigs...something all should do, but make sure there is a way that all of you can communicate quickly to determine if you take a gig or not. If you take a business class on how to keep your books straight and a marketing class on how to set yourselves apart in a good way, that might be helpful. Or, find someone skilled in these things. Be smart!!!

I hope any of this is helpful. It was intended to be just that. Good luck in your pursuits.

Mark

Follow Ups: