Re: Re: BAT Brass Quintet Test

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on April 24, 2003 at 14:02:58:

In Reply to: Re: BAT Brass Quintet Test posted by Mary Ann on April 24, 2003 at 10:04:17:

Our group has moderately good trumpet players (good sound, not-so-good rhythm or reading), an excellent horn player, a professional (but in jazz settings) trombonist, and me. I'm in the middle of the pack in terms of playing, but I have a wider quintet experience than most of the others.

Our horn player usually hits his marks, and puts a good sound out there. It's a sound that would contribute just find to a quintet sound. He plays a Conn 8D, I think. I'm not sufficiently a connoisseur of horn sound to tell you whether it is especially dark or bright. But he plays with good clarity and musicality, and that should be good enough for our modest group.

But blend is a problem for us more because of intonation and ensemble concept than because of ability or the sound of the horn. All your comments about quintets up the board are really on the mark with us. Our only saving grace is that we program within our abilities.

Contrasting sounds aren't a problem for me, if they are used musically. Even our trumpet players have a noticeably different sound. I don't think it is sound so much as rhythmic and pitch accuracy that makes a group blend. Think of vocal groups that blend, but that have surprisingly individual voices.

Rick "quite impressed " Denney

Follow Ups: