Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Any helicons for sale?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jlb on April 26, 2003 at 17:07:31:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Any helicons for sale? posted by Steven on April 26, 2003 at 12:03:03:

My brain prefers "music written at concert pitch", but I believe that your reference to a "C" chart means the same thing, so we're OK there.

I would think in your case, the pitch of horn you buy is a matter of preference. BBb is contrabass, bigger, heavier, somewhat easier to play louder and lower, especially for a 'newbie'. Eb will likely be smaller and lighter and somewhat easier to play higher. Of course, there are small BBb's and large Eb's, which might overlap the size issue. If you are interested in a helicon, you are likely to want to play standing. A smaller Eb will likely be easier to carry, and should have plenty of sound for a small group, like a Dixie gig. I do believe that 4 valve Eb helicons are not common, but the 4th valve is quite valuable for alternate fingerings and better intonation, easier fingering below the staff.

You might want to correspond with Dan Schultz of the Old Dam Community Band. He is an active amateur Eb player who visits this BBS from time to time. You can likely find his email address be searching the archives for his name.

My suggestion would be to search without worrying about the pitch of the horn until you find one in the condition you want for a price you can afford. Then have an experienced tuba player audition the horn for you to make sure you aren't getting a clinker.

Good luck in your search.
jlb

Follow Ups: