Improved index for brassphotos uploads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on April 27, 2003 at 07:57:48:

Found a way to make the index of the YorkMasterPublicPhotos groups work as an .htm page. This makes it load faster, and you do'nt have to download it. A disadvantage is that the fairly good search engine of a Word document has been lost.

As told of earlier it is possible to log in with the Yahoo identity = brassphotos03 and the password = public.

However the high resolution photos of some of the instruments appear only to be available to people having their own Yahoo account (which can be had for free).

The index now is complete with the 140 most recent uploads. There are some 800++ uploads in total.

TubeNetters keep on sending me .jpg's of interesting instruments. I like that! The higher resolutions and the more relevant details, the better. But don't forget good shots of the full front and backside views of the instrument. If light reflexes make the reading of all of the engravings difficult, then please add more shots from slightly different angles. The users use these photos partly for documentation and partly to inspire restorations and modifications of instruments. And some plainly enjoy looking at the older instruments and their sometimes quite odd designs.

The photo hopefully popping up above here shows my latest acquisition, a short British hunting horn. The length is 21 cm, the bell diameter is 6.5 cm. The bell diameter being almost a third of the total length is not seen even at the largest tubas. And as it has not bell flare at all, this little thing might be the ultimate brass, when it comes to conicity (but only in that respect!). It is pitched in something like G 2 octaves and a sixth above the standard Bb trumpet. I can sound the 3 first partials on it. But in clips from British fox hunting parties I have heard it played with only the pedal being sounded. (3 more pics found via the index).

Klaus

Follow Ups: