Miraphone 181 Mouthpiece Follow up

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Russ Dickman on April 28, 2003 at 12:40:05:

I said that I would follow up on this topic once I had a chance to try several mouthpieces that Lee Stofer was gracious enough to send to me for trial. I tried a RM 2, RM9 (8mm back bore) and a RM9 (7.8mm backbore).

I found that the RM9 with the 8mm backbore works superbly on the 181 6VGB F tuba. The top of the staff G is in tune and the 3rd partial C/Bb are very close and workable with just a slide pull for Bb and A. The low notes below the staff (C) etc.. center very well. The rim is rounded for a comfortable feel with very little fatigue in extended high register playing.

The RM9 (7.8mm backbore) was a little brighter and the third partial notes are a little harder to bring down to pitch. This would be a great mouthpiece for high register playing with the narrower backbore. The G at the top of the staff is good.

The RM2 is a nice mouthpiece but the G at the top of the staff needs to be pulled up more than I like. The 3rd partial notes are close. This MP has more of a deep funnel cup as compared to the RM9. The rim is somewhat narrower and sharper. I like this MP but the RM9 (8mm backbore) was my favorite.

If you are looking for a mouthpiece that works well one the Miraphone 181 then check out the RM 9 (either backbore) that Lee Stofer carries.

Lee Stofer is a pleasure to do business with.

Happy tooting,

Russ Dickman
Reno Philharmonic

Follow Ups: