Re: Eb in orchestral setting

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dan Neesley on April 28, 2003 at 15:52:00:

In Reply to: Eb in orchestral setting posted by Rob on April 25, 2003 at 13:34:11:

I've used nothing but Eb for 30+ years in the Milwaukee Ballet Orchestra - well almost. I usually try to borrow a larger horn for Prokofiev Romeo & Juliet. Otherwise nothing but Eb. (Large - Yamaha with 4 compensating valves) I have a small hand and can't maneuver around in the low register holding down the fourth valve with the pinky finger so having the 4th valve on the left hand is a must for me. Low E is pretty lame on these horns, but we don't do "The Ride" or "Pines" in the pit...

One of the factors to consider is the size of the orchestra: in $$$ years we had full brass section. Nowadays it's 2 trpts, 2 hns, 2 trbs and me. No real reason to bellow in with a monster horn that's pretty much good for the full orchestra setting and not most everything else, IMHO.

Besides, a good large bore Eb like the Wilson is much closer to the all-in-one than anything else.

However - and I play in a tuba section with Marty Erickson (Eb) and Phil Sinder & Sam Pilafian (CC on BBb parts),
Sam's CC seems like an all-around horn in his hands (high, low, fast slow), ditto for Marty on his Eb, it's not just a case or horses for courses.

Follow Ups: