Re: Pistons vs. Rotary

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on April 28, 2003 at 19:00:56:

In Reply to: Pistons vs. Rotary posted by Steven on April 27, 2003 at 20:23:35:

There are top pros who will insist that they can play better on rotaries, and top pros who insist they can play better on pistons. There are technicians who insist that technique it easier on rotaries, and those who insist pistons are better. There are those who insist that rotaries are easier to maintain because you don't have to oil them frequently, and those who insist that pistons are easier to maintain because they can be easily disassembled, cleaned, oiled, and reassembled at a gig. There are those who say rotaries are tougher, and though who insist pistons are tougher.

The bottom line is that both do the job if you do. Go find the horn you like playing the most, and take the valves that come with it.

As for me, I can do some things better on my rotary tuba, and many things better on my piston tubas, but I have no real assurance that the valve type has anything to do with that difference. There is nothing more frustrating than a sticky piston, but a stuck rotor at a gig (yes, it has happened to me) can really stop you in your tracks. More often, rotors provide frustration because they really need lots of maintenance and don't usually get it, so they are more sluggish than well-maintained pistons.

Rick "who has both with no real preference" Denney

Follow Ups: