Re: I was fired from the University of OK.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on April 29, 2003 at 08:22:32:

In Reply to: I was fired from the University of OK. posted by Ted Cox on April 29, 2003 at 06:18:12:

Ted, I once managed the traffic signals for the City of Austin, Texas. I was fired from that position, and your story rings many bells of similarity. My boss, and at least one of my underlings, knew of my coming departure literally months before I did, and made my life hell during that time. I was young (only about 6 or 7 years of experience after college) and naive, too, and had missed the signs. (By the way, in most states they don't have to tell you what they didn't like. Of course, if you were on a tenure track, most universities won't renew contracts for those who don't make tenure after enough time goes by, because of their so-called "academic standards.")

One of the similarities was that the department head insisted on having a large, burly fellow near to call when he brought me in to tell me that my "position had been eliminated from the budget" (that's how they avoid identifying the reasons for their action). He literally thought I would get physically violent, and he was rather amazed when I took it quite calmly. Professionalism is its own reward, and I'm glad I didn't get sucked into a battle of recriminations however I inwardly felt about the situation.

As a result of that boot-print on my posterior, I moved to San Antonio where I had some of the best times of my life, both personally and professionally. In retrospect, I see that God wanted me out of there, and I hadn't been getting the hint.

Thus, by far the most successful and productive job change in my career started by getting fired. The most important thing it taught me was to look forward. When I did let those feelings of bitterness take hold, I would tell myself that I was glad not to be working for people who would behave unprofessionally and underhandedly. That self-talk was an easy sell--my next job in San Antonio was a vast improvement and opened new doors.

It's a cliche, I know, to claim that every disaster is an "opportunity." When in the middle of the disaster, that cliche rings hollow. But with the perspective of hindsight, I can now review all those disasters in my life, and I see that in every case what I gained from the disaster was worth more than what I lost.

My advice: Don't look back.

Rick "who thinks the opinions of your former boss and colleagues may not be relevant anymore" Denney

Follow Ups: