Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: suggested guidelines

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by 'fess'r on May 01, 2003 at 14:47:50:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: suggested guidelines posted by Anon-hero boy on May 01, 2003 at 11:58:07:

Two posts above I wasn't criticizing your playing - only your amount of courage...

...and the 'nose-tweaking" comment the other day was only to needle you - due to your anonymity and similar comments directed this way. I'm sure you're a fine player. (Friend, even if my comments HAD been meant sincerely, if you dish out harsh criticism [anonymously, albeit] you must also be able to take it.)

Finally, just like Floyd Cooley and his ancient Gronitz F tuba, let's not blame nor credit anyone's ability to play or not to play on "talent". That's possibly the most b.s. word in the English language. Your own ability to play, Pat Sheridan's ability to play, or Paganini's ability to play was due to their work.

As to "entertainment value", surely the needling contest that you and I engaged in yesterday (on your part) was based solely on your "principles". [chuckle]

Equipment searches: I beat on horns for a lot of my living. Some folks think I'm pretty good at it, so a lot of people call on the phone. The bbs-survey style of equipment searches remind me of people who call on the phone and want to chat for twenty minutes about what-is-involved and how-much-will-cost a 5-minute (probably "free") repair...desperately thinking during the polite discourse: JUST-HANG-UP-THE-PHONE-AND-BRING-IT-OVER-HERE-SO-I-CAN-FIX-IT!!! Mouthpieces are cheap, and easy to resell on ebay if they disappoint. If someone is curious about a mouthpiece, shouldn't they order one? (Incredibly, MOST vendors are willing to sell these on a "trial" basis.)...and tubas: same thing...pay the r/t freight or get on orbitz.com and get a super-cheap flight to go see one. There are now at least FIVE tuba stores thoughout the U.S. Strangers can't give us any real advice on these sorts of purchases any more than they can effectively advise us how to vote in an election. Yes, people have EVERY right to continue to post nonsense questions and "who knows" ("What should I buy?", etc.) type of questions, but I think (until Mr. Chisham pulls them) I also have a right to encourage people to discuss more interesting topics.

Finally: You've heard a recording of me playing? b*llsh*t.

If you want to yak further, email me. I'll honor your anonymity.

Follow Ups: