Re: Re: ergonomics of YFB-621

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris Hall on August 18, 1999 at 19:46:03:

In Reply to: Re: ergonomics of YFB-621 posted by Joshua Wirt on August 18, 1999 at 16:24:59:

It is interesting to see a question about the ergonomics of the tuba. There are many different problems in designing a tuba that works well for varying body shapes and sizes, but valves are usually designed in a way that works well for most. I think Yamaha is one of the greatest pioneers in brass instrument design, however, on both the 621 and 822 the valves are at a bad angle; the 621's valves force one's hand to bend downward, and the 822's make your hands need to bend upward. I have no idea of how to fix the 621,short of doing what Mr. Bobo had done to his. Kevin Powers, the brass technician at Custom Music Co. ( Ferndale, MI : near Detroit ), has made valve caps for the 822 (and the small Hirsbrunner F, which has the same valve layout as the 822) that extend out a little further, thus relieving your hand, wrist, tendons, etc. from PAIN.

I don't think anything like this solution will help on the 621, I'm afraid. Maybe some of the folks out there who play 621's could offer some advice.
Good luck, CJH.

Follow Ups: