Re: Re: Performance vs. Education

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on August 27, 1999 at 01:30:38:

In Reply to: Re: Performance vs. Education posted by Patrick Sheridan on August 26, 1999 at 09:02:33:

There ARE many VERY fine "education" and "music education" teachers/professors across the country, but there are also quite a few others who do not command (nor deserve) very much respect from their students. In my undergraduate "ed" degree experience, out of ALL of the "ed" and "music ed" teachers that I worked with (including student teaching experiences), I can only think of ONE "music ed" professor who was inspirational (and HE was "run of out town" by his Chairman -to a better job, I might add). I should have taken the initiative and responsibility (though, of course, I was only in my late teens and very early twenties) to transfer to another school. As far as the "ART of teaching" goes, I have had to find my own way. I ducked out of that world totally for the past twenty or so years (except working on a very limited basis with people trying to prepare auditions and/or get over some stumbling blocks), and am JUST now getting back into it, institutionally. I HOPE that what I have "taught myself" in the way of teaching proves to be viable. Five talented "ed" majors are counting on it. Wish me luck.

Follow Ups: