Re: stuck slides

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on August 27, 1999 at 20:59:13:

In Reply to: stuck slides posted by Derek on August 27, 1999 at 19:37:45:

If it is one of the newer vintage, you could lay a fairly large Phillips (round steel) screwdriver inside the bow of the main tuning slide crook, #1 crook, and #2 crook. When it is in each of these positions individually, you can tap the long round steel part of the screwdriver with a rawhide mallet (a chime mallet from your bandroom will do nicely). Careful to not smack your own hand.

I know that many of my repair/etc. colleagues will criticize this method, but if you succeed early with a good tap applied with medium force, you probably won't crease nor crack any of the crooks, nor break any of the braces. DO NOT (!!!) continue trying this method with harder and harder licks if at first you are not successful, and if my instructions are not clear enough for you to understand them, do not try it at all. You can increase the chances of success by dumping penetrating oil down inside the stuck slides and soaking overnight (via the valve casings, etc.) and/or by applying some medium heat to the slides (with a butane lighter or "wuss" torch). PAY ATTENTION, and BE CAREFUL. This method is successful quite often, and is quick (though admittedly "hillbilly" and just a very little bit risky).

The #3 lower slide should be extracted by someone with experience. It is much more delicate, and is much more delicately braced.

If you can't get any of the slides unstuck and would like to play a little flatter, you might consider tossing a handful of ice cubes down the bell just before you play each time. (;^/) (sorry)

Follow Ups: