Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Performance vs. Education

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe B. on August 31, 1999 at 11:10:59:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Performance vs. Education posted by Jim on August 30, 1999 at 18:17:02:

Jim,
I am far from a frustrated individual. My point is that there are other dreams that some people have besides being a professional tubist. My dream WAS to be a husband and father, so pursuing that isn't copping out; it is merely recognizing that, while I would love to make my living tooting a tuba, my real dream was too important to place at risk. In short, other dreams must be considered when deciding on the major.

Just so you know exactly my philosophy on this issue, it is basically this: If you can imagine yourself possibly being happy not being a pro musician, you should pursue something else. If you simply MUST be a musician, go after it with both feet, but DON'T EVEN CONSIDER MAKING CHILDREN UNTIL YOUR CAREER IS REALLY SECURE!!! And frankly, if you consider it 'copping out' to place children's needs ahead of your own ambitions don't have kids at all. They are too precious and too vulnerable to ever take a back seat to any parent's desires. Kids couldn't care less whether your job makes you happy or not; what they care about is that you would go through hell for them if they need you too. They need to know that THEY are what makes you happy (and for me, they are!). My job is interesting some days, mundane on others. Are your practice sessions ever mundane? I'd bet so. Remember, 'career' or 'job' is just one little part of life. Make sure the whole package is something you want, and don't worry about any one small part.

And, Jim, as to my busting your chops a little yesterday, I apologize. I was trouble by your assertion that playing tuba professionally was the only road to a happy life, and I reacted a little harshly. I wish you well in everything. If you ever experience the same magnitude of desire to have children that you obviously have to play tuba, the same kind of dedication will serve you and your kids very well.

Follow Ups: