Re: Re: Which Sousaphone with a bad back?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on August 02, 2000 at 09:11:39:

In Reply to: Re: Which Sousaphone with a bad back? posted by Paul Scott on August 01, 2000 at 23:44:45:

Owning and using a Conn 40K BBb (the old long stroke 4 valve version of the 20K), a Conn 26K Eb, and a York Master BBb with recording bell I might hame some experience to relay.

If I should keep a dancing floor vivid and alive, then I would not take the 26K, because it lacks some in low range punch.

The 40K probably is the best of them all, because it can move some air. Very well in tune and with an enourmous ressonance. But unforgiving if it is not fed properly with a steady breath support. I use a Wenger sousa chair. It took me some time to adjust the 3 supports, so that my back was not forced into a sideways tilt. But had I not had the chair, I would have had neither a back, nor a left shoulder.

For a series of dance jobs I might end up with the York, if the 40K exhausted my breathing system too much. Even for the York do I use a K&M playing stand. So I can avoid any pressure on any body parts. And the tuba can follow the movements of my torso. Which is not an option with the 40K sitting in its Wenger crooks.

Klaus

Follow Ups: