Re: YCB 621S

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on August 03, 2000 at 14:46:23:

In Reply to: YCB 621S posted by Kevin Smith on August 03, 2000 at 14:00:45:

Quick synopsis: The Yamaha 621 F tuba is a good horn for ensemble and solo work, but not well suited for large ensembles.

My YFB 621 plays in tune well enough that slide pulling is not required. Mechanically the horn is solidly, if not artistically, constructed. It is small and relatively light, with good ergonomics, especially for a standing performer. Projection is good, and the low register outstanding for a small F tuba, unless you block it up with a small mouthpiece. I don't like the way water collects in all slides, and the sound seems to lack a richness and color that is probably more me than the horn, but a bigger mouthpiece helps (I'm now using a full-sized Helleberg). It's a great horn for tuba quartet, with a distinctive middle voice that still blends well, and for brass quintet and solo work, where the good lower register and wide range make it usable for all literature. It is not a great horn for large ensembles unless you are a color voice rather than a foundation voice. That means not so good for orchestra, but fine for the upper tuba line in band with an otherwise complete section of contrabass players.

Think of it this way: It is a true F tuba, not a contrabass pitched in F. It has a voice between a big horn and a (big) euphonium. If you want it to sound like a big, orchestral horn, you'll be disappointed. You'll probably be disappointed with the C version, too, come to think of it.

Rick "It's the only horn in my collection that has paid for itself" Denney

Follow Ups: