Re: Brasswinds - ??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JRTapes on August 07, 2000 at 11:43:06:

In Reply to: Brasswinds - ?? posted by Ed on August 05, 2000 at 23:15:13:

I think we need to recognize WW&BW for what it is. A big store, like Walmart, selling on volume not margin. They have a nice showroom in South Bend, and a lot of tubas to try.
I've been there twice, and pretty much helped myself both times. Service wasn't great, you're right. I too have noticed the website doesn't change very quickly, but a lot of places are like that.

So, if you're shopping price, or selection, it may be a place to try, but if you want a relationship with a shop, then you need to go to a shop which specializes in service.(you may pay a little more, but in speaking with Joe S., or looking at Dillon's or Baltimore Brass, it seems to me these people are pretty competitive) And the nice thing is that a shop that offers service usually is giving service to everyone, even the price shoppers who later go back to WW & BW and buy on price.

Compare it to autos. We all know a local dealer who is "blowing them out", and you know you feel scummy just walking into a joint like that. And you know there's an established auto dealer nearby that's been in business for 50+ years and offers great service, but maybe not quite the "lowest prices". In most cases, you get what you pay for.

Follow Ups: