Re: Small A** Tubas (SAT)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bryan on August 11, 2000 at 02:54:40:

In Reply to: Small A** Tubas (SAT) posted by Rick on August 10, 2000 at 13:22:33:

Though not as many as Tony, I have a somewhat extensive collection of horns ranging in key and size. For years I played a mirafone 186 (CC) in quintet, but was now producing the sound I desired. Tried out several horns (fright alone for these from brasswinds would have made for a nice down payment on a decent car)but never did find the 'right' one, or one to replace the 186. Anyway, I ended up aquiring a hot little 185 which became my main horn until lastly I ran across a Besson Eb (both purchased through this bbs), which has become my main axe.

Interesting, while the 185 gave me the (then) long sought after quintet sound, my son plays it in large ensembles and can absolutely fill a concert hall with a low register that defies the apparent ability of the horrn. Like Tony, I keep and maintain several instruments for various purposes and yet can produce various sounds on most of them. Personally, the smaller horns have proven for me to be more versitile than BATS, but then I listen to the Arnold Jacobs warm up (presumable on his York)and realize that the horn has but so little to do with the equasion as to be nearly a non-issue.

Follow Ups: