Re: Re: Re: Jumbo

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on August 13, 2000 at 11:12:35:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Jumbo posted by In defense of H'sHHs on August 13, 2000 at 10:47:36:

Furthermore, some horns aren't worth the time of the real artists. Take an old Jumbo--it might be worth a couple of grand in pristine condition--perhaps a bit more--and maybe 500 bucks in as-found condition. That means a superior technician would have to be able to overhaul it for 1500 bucks. That's under 50 hours, if that technician also has to be himself a living wage and pay the rent. Not a lot for what an instrument like that would need to be pristine.

So, here's a question for you. Would you rather have an instrument that has been approximately straightened, made playable, but left looking its age, or an instrument that looks pristine only because half the brass has been filed and buffed off? Especially considering the second instrument would be too expensive for what it is? I know what my answer would be.

I'm perfectly happy with people like Harv being the only thing between an otherwise worthy instrument and the dumpster. At least as long as he doesn't pretend to be something he's not. (I am hoping that he limits himself to otherwise unmarketable horns, and doesn't tackle something truly rare and valuable, but so far that seems to be the case.)

As to whether the price is too high for his horns, ebay's open bidding will answer that one for us. Damn free market!

Rick "It's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it" Denney

Follow Ups: