Re: Re: Re: Anyone tried this yet?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt Walters on August 13, 2000 at 12:49:21:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Anyone tried this yet? posted by Sean Chisham on August 13, 2000 at 11:53:23:

Hey Sean,
That was the way your Yorkbrunner was built. So, there is more tubing in the conical section of the horn. When a horn is being designed, you pick the bell and the valve section. Everthing else has to just fall in place to achieve your desired results. Want the 5th valve right after the piston valve set, then you have to leave a big enough loop in the smaller branches to get the tubing through.
One of the reasons Yorkbrunners and Nirschels have a quicker articulation is their leadpipe's faster taper ratio. I'm saying that if I make a leadpipe that has a fast taper ratio and then stays the same diameter as the valve section for the extra 3-5" that a MW 2165 requires, I will end up with a MW 2165 that will respond to a lighter articulation. Note: I am a firm believer in matching response charateristics of the horn to the inividual player. That is why we see conflicting opions on the same horn. Some people need a more open blowing horn like the MW 2165.
So if you are to change an existing horn, you have to put back or ad an opposite amount somewhere else.
Shorten the leadpipe, lengthen the tuning slide. Lengthen the leadpipe, shorten the tuning slide. Or in the case of the Chicago York and it's clones; if you made the body too long, just shorten the leadpipe and main tuning slide. You didn't honestly think they had another reason or making such a short leadpipe? That's the last section you put on a handbuilt tuba.
When I cut tubas from BBb to CC, I purposely plan on a longer tuning slide in my rough calulations of length. That way I can shorten it if necessary to get the leadpipe exactly where the new owner will be most comfortable. I understand many others start taking off tubing in the easily cut tuning slide first. Well if you're cut horn is too flat, the leadpipe is already as short as it can get and the tuning slide has 2 inches or less of pull, you have to pull the horn apart and shorten 1 or more main branches. I hope I shed some light.

Follow Ups: