Re: all state tuba and finding college

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ken k on August 14, 2000 at 23:47:24:

In Reply to: all state tuba and finding college posted by Pete Lako on August 11, 2000 at 22:53:57:

Many small colleges that do not necessarily have music major programs often give scholarships or "talent grants" as they are called at my wife's college to student's to perform in their ensembles. The college uses this type of aid to attract students who play instruments and are active in extra curricular activities becuase they know these tend to be the better students. A friend of mine has a French Horn playing daughter going to George Wahington U. in DC and she is getting a substantial amount from the band director there, which is above and beyond her financial aid package from the college. Keep in mind this girl is a "cream of the crop" type kid. Great grades, ranked high in her class, awesome horn player etc. With all of her scholarship money and band money her tuition at GWU is equal to that of a state college!

You probably would not get as much aid at a state school since the tuition is lower to begin with and (in PA anyway) they are almost harder to get into than many private schools due to the large number of applicants.

I would think your son would have a decent chance at some money due to the instruments he plays. Double bass, especailly good reading jazz bass players are few and far between. If he plays tuba too that could be a bonus. Many big time football schools give money to be in Marching Band and Basketball pep band too. I do not know about playing in an orchestra, but I would imagine there are schools who would offer money for that too. When you look at schools that would be a good question to ask the band or orchestra director. If there is any money available to perform in their ensembles.
good luck, I will be joining you in a few years.
Ken K
PS. If you want any info on Albright College in PA let me know I can put you in touch with my wife who is the band director there! kk

Follow Ups: