Re: Does Anybody *Not* Like Yorkbrunners?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on August 16, 2000 at 12:19:51:

In Reply to: Does Anybody *Not* Like Yorkbrunners? posted by Would-Be BAT Owner on August 16, 2000 at 11:44:01:

From my experience I have not seen, heard or played a "Yorkbrunner" that I would immediately go and spend exhorbetent amounts of money on. They are excellent horns, however, I would recommend the Walter Nirscl york copy first for the amount of money. I seem to remember it being about $4K less and playing just as well as any of the Hirsbrunners that are out there. If you are looking for a horn that size, be prepared to do a lot of searching and waiting. Occasionally a horn like the one Joe S. cut (Holton 345BBb) comes up and sometimes those play just as well and are in the $8K range. There are a bevy of varieties in the 6/4 market now. I personally own a Mel Culbertson Neptune 4P/1R that I personally love. But those horns are very incosistent at times as are most 6/4 horns. I think the size of the tuba has an effect on how much consistentcy can be had from one to the other. My personal advice is to try as many as you can and take your time with the process, as none of these horns in particular are very inexpensive. Good Luck!

Matt G

Follow Ups: