Re: euphoniumiana (questions about buying)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mainly tuba on August 16, 2000 at 14:15:43:

In Reply to: euphoniumiana (questions about buying) posted by Bill on August 14, 2000 at 14:46:38:

If you are in NYC, cross the river and check out what they have a Dillons. They usually have a good selection of both new and used horns. I am primarily a tuba player, but I have an old King euph that I love to play. I have always liked the sound and "feel" of most of the Besson's which I have tried, and I have friends who swear by (not at) their Yamaha 321s.

The top of the line Bessons seem to have the 3+1 valve configuration which I have never liked, even though that seems to be what most of the pros use. Top action vs. front action valves is really a matter of personal taste. You need to play both and find which configuration you find more comfortable. I have always preferred front action in both my tubas and euphs only because I find the position more comfortable, especially during a long concert. That is why the euphonium I use the most is my King. Rotary valves have a shorter travel distance so they are probably marginally faster by design, but the difference may be more psychological than real.

As always, you should never buy an instrument solely based on brand reputation. But, Besson, Willson, Yamaha, and even UMI and Cervany make good horns. Every manufacturer puts out the occasional clunker. You need to play the horn that you buy, so if you get one from out of town make sure that they have a reasonable trial period.

Follow Ups: