Re: Re: Kleenex and Spit

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on August 17, 2000 at 14:37:45:

In Reply to: Re: Kleenex and Spit posted by John Swensen on August 17, 2000 at 13:49:07:

Ultimately, I will finish the basement with a dummy stud wall in front of the concrete. The concrete is insulated with a layer of bat fiberglass with a foil coating, and I'll built a frame wall in front of it, covered by drywall. That will provide effective isolation of the wall. My plan was to install drywall on the ceiling directly to the bottoms of the joists--there's no room for a suspended ceiling. But I don't want to wait for this big construction project (scheduled for well after the York is paid off) before I can practice again!

The only window is on the side, and the sound is much less on that side of the house. I suspect this is because the joists are at right angles to the front wall, which means a double joist on the side wall, one flush with the outside and one flush with the inside of the foundation wall, leaving an air gap. The windows are double-insulated with vinyl frames and don't seem to be radiating that much sound (they are below grade in any case, and the well seems to contain the sound). There are no openings in the wall on the front of the house.

I'm not trying to make it soundproof, particularly not for others in the house. I'm just trying to reduce the transmitted noise sufficienly so that the neighbors across the street won't hear it in their bedroom. After all, my house is isolated from theirs by 100 feet of air. and 60 tons of house.

Rick "Taking the edge off" Denney

Follow Ups: