Re: Re: Re: Re: JIN BAO euphoniums

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Urbie Watrous on August 21, 2000 at 17:39:29:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: JIN BAO euphoniums posted by tuba-lew on August 21, 2000 at 16:26:41:

<< If the DB euph plays in tune, it is definitely worth having it overhauled. It's worth anywhere from $1800 to $3000 to a collector depending upon the condition, how elaborate the engraving is, whether it's silver plated or not, whether it is a 4 or 5 valve, among other things. If you can, hold onto that DB euph. If it is in good shape its value will go nowhere but up. IF you wanted to sell, you could finance getting a very good new horn.>>

Well, my horn is cosmetically in very poor shape -- the silver plating is almost completely worn off, and it's obviously had some inept repair work done in the past (very sloppy soldering, etc., and one of the tuning slide tubes has been replaced with something inferior). I doubt it's worth the figures you cite, which probably apply to horns in much better condition. Also, mine is just a 3-valver (not counting the valve that switches to the second bell).

However, the horn has a really nice sound, and I think the intonation would probably be pretty good if I had the valves fixed. I might have someone do that, and forget the cosmetic stuff.

In any case, thanks for the input. I'd love to shell out big bucks for a Willson (I've tried them at shows, and they're great horns), but I think I'll keep an eye out for a used mid-price model. A few years ago, I played a Holton for a year (it belonged to the Harvard band), and it wasn't bad.

Urb

Follow Ups: