Re: Inquirey

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Randy Mac Iver on August 22, 2000 at 12:33:53:

In Reply to: Inquirey posted by Tony Clements on August 21, 2000 at 13:40:57:

Hey Tony,

Why would you want this kind of horn. I know that Roger Bobo had some odd pitched horns like one in D and a French horn in CC but they were made for him by horn makers from the ground up. Converting a G Baritone to an upright Tuba would require more work and money than the horn would be worth. Your best bet would be to get a really old Getzen GG Contra and try the conversion on it. That horn on Ebay may be a good frame work to build on. It is the one listed as the G Getzen Marching Tuba. I use to play the very same horn in my Cadet Corps days. It has an exorbitant amount of cylindrical tubing so you could wack of an octave amount of tubing and get a valve set and lead pipe of an old better Eb and try it that way. The Kanstal version of the Euphonium Grande in G is a nice horn already and would give you the same pitch but with out the upright bell. The current legal instrumentation of DCI Corps Basically makes them an American style Brass Marching Band with out the Trombones. No real big change. Yamaha has a Euph that switches between upright and bell front and also a Tuba but I would assume you already knew that. What are you going after with a conversion? Why not learn to play the G Horn and dispel an doubts about their playability? Just curious.
Randy Mac Iver

Follow Ups: