Re: Re: New Canadian Brass "Goldberg Variations"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on August 23, 2000 at 10:28:35:

In Reply to: Re: New Canadian Brass "Goldberg Variations" posted by Richard on August 22, 2000 at 19:22:47:

And the people said, "AMEN!"

I've been on this bandwagon for about 20 years. The CB needs to fill a few recordings with the standard quintet repertoire, as a legacy for the genre.

I don't have the Goldberg Variations yet, but I do have the complete Art of the Fugue, and the CD they did of English Renaissance music. Both are fine works, and neither are kitsch in any sense of the word, even if they are transcriptions. I head them perform the Shuman Adagio (I hope I'm remembering that correctly) about a dozen years ago, and it was stunning. And the videotaped performance they did, with the quintets from the Boston and New York symphonies, of a transcription of that most string-like of works, the Vaughan Williams Tallis Fantasia, was revelatory.

But let's hope they will give us some real quintet music before they all retire. It seems to me, however, that the CB has assurance of their continued success and risk nothing by filling this need.

Rick "or the Neilsen, or even the Cheetham" Denney

Follow Ups: