Re: BAT transportation question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tuba-lew on August 23, 2000 at 13:02:01:

In Reply to: BAT transportation question posted by Phil on August 23, 2000 at 07:58:14:

The easy answer is to make sure that you are over 6' 4" tall and over 250lbs and it's no problem lugging any tuba around.

Seriously, even the largest BAT isn't that much larger than most 4/4 tubas. I have yet to find a normal (not counting the Harvard BBBb and its ilk) that won't fit in the back seat of most sedans in a gig bag. I agree with the consensus on the Reunion Blues bag, it is easy to load and very well made. If you really want to protect the horn you should use a hard case, but then my first comment applies. Even in a hard case, most horns will fit in the back seat, or in the back of most minivans, SUVs, or station wagons. Lifting it in and out can be a challenge unless you have been a linebacker in a prior life.

If you are in the market for a new car, make sure to measure the case and bring the measurements and a tape measure with you before you select something. Better yet would be to bring the case and try it out. That is what I did before buying my last car. The dealer thought I was nuts, but my tuba fits in the back of my SUV.

BA tuba player

Follow Ups: