Re: Music Therapy...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on August 24, 2000 at 18:44:00:

In Reply to: Music Therapy... posted by SilentTuba on August 24, 2000 at 16:24:02:

Let me preface my remarks by saying that I'm not trying to be a smarta**, I'm just asking questions and trying to find out what you're thinking, etc...

I really hate to see someone put up a post like this because I believe that you may be very confused and, perhaps, headed for some tough times. It sounds clear to me that you have a goal ("my goal is performance") yet you feel you need something to fall back on? My opinion, based on my observations of my classmates in college, is that if you have a fall back position, you're going to fall back! Obviously, there are many wonderful musicians that have degrees in things other than performance. But what makes you think that the rigors of another degree will help you in performance or even leave enough time to pursue the performance work you will need to do? And given the reasons you would rule out an education degree, why would you then ask if music therapy "is really worth persuing"? Really, I'm not trying to be hard on you or insulting, I'm just trying to get you to ask yourself why you feel compelled to pursue music therapy? Are your feelings about music therapy more similar to your feelings about music performance or music education? One of life's little truths is that everybody NEEDS a job they can love. Money will not buy you happiness and only if you're doing something you can truly enjoy will your life have meaning and joy. Will you feel that way in a fall back profession? Again, please understand that I'm only trying to be constructive here and hopefully help you out. Just be very careful when you say "my goal is performance" and know the difference between "my goal is performance" and "my dream is performance". One of the characteristics of all the performers I know is their love of the craft. None of them would give it up for anything. For me, that attitude defines their need to be a musician. Maybe you can find the same thing in you. If not, don't hurt yourself pursuing something that won't ultimately make you happy. Its just too hard a gig to get with too few rewards unless you really have to be there. You'd be better off finding what you REALLY have a passion for in your life, whatever that may be, and going full throttle for that.

All the best of luck to you! If you want to talk further on this, please don't hesitate to contact me via my email address.

Follow Ups: