Re: High Range Problems

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Adam Peck on August 29, 2000 at 09:35:41:

In Reply to: High Range Problems posted by Rob on August 28, 2000 at 22:26:26:

Rob, you don't mention how old you are or how long you have been playing so I'll assume you are, say, a sophomore in college. The ultra high range can be difficult for many young players. First let me say that just because you are using an F tuba that doesn't mean that you don't have to use the same technique as with a BBb. Some tips... Your air stream must get faster the higher you play but be relaxed at the same time. Think about your lips forming a bird-like beak when striving for the high notes. Try leaning forward a bit and tilting the horn when you go to the high notes. This may take pressure of your top lip and allow it to vibrate. Practice lip slurs from low to high and vice versa. Practice two and three octave scales. This is a great way to extend your usable range. Practice well known etudes an octave higher. These are some things that helped me when I was in college. Please don't neglect other things in your practice that are VERY important like practicing scales and slurs at pppp..very, very soft.and scales at FFF. Lips slurs, chromatic scales etc are all important. Some folks don't realize their full range until they are in their mid twenties, so don't be discouraged. I hope this helps you in some way. Adam Peck.

Follow Ups: