Re: Re: Valve-venting redux

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on August 29, 2000 at 14:40:34:

In Reply to: Re: Valve-venting redux posted by Jim G on August 29, 2000 at 13:41:48:

This is always an option, I suppose. But I usually don't use the on the valve slides even when they are provided. I hate spraying water all over the front of the horn and my lap, especially in chamber-music settings.

Chuck had talked about adding an Amado water key to the lower slide on the first-valve branch. But that location is so high on the horn...

Although, it is an interesting concept of adding a water key at a non-standard location that can be easily reached by the left hand, no to drain water through, but to use as a vent. Hmmmm. That would solve the drainage problem, and then I'd only have the first valve problem. That one might be solvable with a tuning stick...

So, perhaps my plan should be: 1.) fabricate a tuning stick for the main slide. I've already been working on a design for this, and 2.) add an "air key" to reachable spots on the first and third valve branches (the second doesn't collect water), and at the drainage point of the fourth valve branch (which is low on the horn).

Rick "Contemplating" Denney

Follow Ups: