Re: Why tuba and not some other instrument?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on August 02, 2001 at 17:41:54:

In Reply to: Why tuba and not some other instrument? posted by Les Smith on August 02, 2001 at 16:40:25:

I played cello from 4th grade until I got to High School. At the end of 8th grade I was told that if I wanted to continue playing music in school I would have to learn a "band" instrument because the High School didn't have a string program. They suggested tuba because I already knew bass clef, the school always needs players, and I was 6' 4" and over 200 lbs in 8th grade and they thought I could handle one. I took classes that summer and learned enough to play in the band in the Fall. I played tuba in school and cello in a community youth orchestra throughout High School. I dropped cello in College and played tuba for one year, then dropped that in favor of beer, girls, and studying (in that order).

18 years later my wife convinced me to buy a tuba and take it up again. I had tried picking up my cello again, but it was as if I had never played it. After about 3 months of practicing I joined a community band and have been playing ever since, now about 9 years.

Follow Ups: