Re: Re: Why tuba and not some other instrument?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim Fassero on August 02, 2001 at 19:28:36:

In Reply to: Re: Why tuba and not some other instrument? posted by Tom B. on August 02, 2001 at 16:46:38:

In grade school, I decided that I wanted to a member of the band. The band diretor suggested that my parents purchase an instrument. My parents said they couldn't afford the price of an instrument or lessons. The band director gave me a lesson book and a beat up sousaphone which I hosed out (orange pealings, paper, dead mouse, etc.,) and I, with a little help from the band director learned to paly well enough to become a member of the band.

I became a union member, if I remember correctly, in 1948 and now at at over 70 am still playing. Many years ago, I switched to a CC, my first CC horn was a miraphone 5 valve 186
which I used for both band and orchestra. At present, I own three horns, all CC's. My favorite for orchestra is the B&S PT6. This weekend will find me at the St.Louis Strassenfest where I will use a Cerveny CC MR883 5 valve "Opera" model. Playing tuba has resulted in travel and friendships with people far from my residence in Illinois.
I have visited Bob Tucci in Germany, traveled to Hungary and Check Repbulic and know Dan Parentoni and have taken master classes with Arnold Jacobs and others.

Follow Ups: