Re: Why tuba and not some other instrument?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by BoomerSooner Guy... on August 03, 2001 at 01:22:15:

In Reply to: Why tuba and not some other instrument? posted by Les Smith on August 02, 2001 at 16:40:25:

I don't know what exactly drove me to play the tuba. We had a band "orientation" while I was still in 6th grade when a band director from one of the schools came and asked us if we were interested in band, what we'd like to play, etc. At first I took my father's advice and signed up for trumpet, and ALMOST put down my second choice as woodwind as my mother siggested, but instead I put down percussion.

So after Summer Vacation, I find myself in a band room full of hopeful brass players of mostly the same grade (7th, for those who loathe math) in the Moore West Junior High band room. I find myself sitting next to one of my good friends who I hadn't seen for a year and we engaged in a discussion over which instrument we'd choose. He wanted to play tuba, and I (more-or-less) snickered at the thought and told him I was torn between trombone and trumpet. Well, for some reason, when the director asked what we'd play, the only word uttered from my mouth was: "tuba".

I don't know what came over me, but regardless of what it was, I'm glad it did....

Follow Ups: