Re: Why tuba and not some other instrument?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill on August 03, 2001 at 15:00:04:

In Reply to: Why tuba and not some other instrument? posted by Les Smith on August 02, 2001 at 16:40:25:

I always wanted to play tuba because my father played tuba, some of his playing was with a Sousa revival band in the late 20s-early 30s. When I was 8, he went to Sexton High School, in Lansing, Michigan, and recovered an ancient and battered Eb tuba for $1. I started on that and played until my Junior year in High School when I was told to focus on String Bass because that is where the career was or should be. I was not much consulted. I got my next horn from a surplus sale in the San Diego Schools, a huge 4 valve Buescher sousaphone. 10 years later, after knocking around a bit, I bought an Amati BBb, 4 valve model 68 and have had some form of decent playablility since. My son was the best young tuba player I ever heard and studied sriously through college. My wife has always seen to it that we have had the best tubas available for our use, even demanding that I by a Willson I tried out as soon as she heard it. I am lucky and I get to live with her and play good horns. Anyone else out there got that deal? btw, the original Eb went to the Marshall Islands, in the late 50s for a band program there. Any one know Laki Lokboj?

Follow Ups: