Re: Marching band-oh, what fun!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on August 05, 2001 at 00:27:14:

In Reply to: Marching band-oh, what fun! posted by Nick on August 03, 2001 at 23:54:25:

I understand and have experienced the "fun" of marching band, but I've also experienced eight years (jr. high/sr. high/college) of its tragic waste of time, band director swear words over powerful p.a. systems heard blocks away, and COMPLETELY understand why outsiders look at band members as "nerds":

1/ Band members often (no, not always, but often) subject themselves to band director verbal abuse - whether with or without the use of coarse language.
2/ Band members devote huge blocks of time and (their own) money to the glorification of football players with absolutely no acknowledgement (nor support of the band program by members of football teams) whatsoever.
3/ No matter HOW "imaginative" or "artistic" most shows are written, they appear to onlookers (NO insults intended towards show-writers...I said "onlookers" not "band fans".) like every other half-time show that they've ever seen with little appreciation (whether or not due). Ironically, the humorous shows (those that actually are humorous, have wide appeal, and are well done) are about the only types of shows that consistantly make a connection with the "non-band" spectators.
4/ With few exceptions (OK "a few" exceptions), members of heavily marching band oriented programs - EVEN WHEN THE CONNECTED CONCERT BAND PROGRAMS EXCEL - are rarely well-rounded musicians. Their abilities are limited to the rote-learning of the music that was played in or out of doors, because any time for the development of independent musical skills is forced (not to the back burner but) completely off the "stove".

YES, I enjoy the SPECTACLE of marching band and drum and bugle corps. Just don't expect me to subject my kids to school band programs that lean far too heavily in that direction. I believe that playing in the stands at games and making a formation on the field at homecoming show good school spirit. PERSONALLY, however, I would have preferred to practice PLAYING and as a middle-aged man prefer to have my kids practice PLAYING. (' don't know of too many marching bands or corps for grown-ups, but I DO see hundreds -if not thousands of community CONCERT bands across the nation. PLAYING is a livetime skill. MARCHING is a "serves the moment" skill.)

Notice: I never said that I dislike WATCHING marching bands. Hey, flame away...Knock yourselves out.

Joe "whose kids all play wind instruments very well in very fine school bands, but who are in carefully-selected school bands that do NOT spend much time (nor money) marching, but each to his own" S.

Follow Ups: