Re: Re: Re: Marching band-oh, what fun!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on August 05, 2001 at 08:41:35:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Marching band-oh, what fun! posted by Dale on August 04, 2001 at 17:20:12:

Somewhere I believe some of the readers miss the point. While many professionals push the kids away from marching band, it has a great deal of merit as an organization. Try to find a better way to occupy your kids after school or find a better "gang" to hang out with.

You will notice I had nothing to say about the 'musical' merits of the marching band. Most kids have a love/hate relationship with the thing. They love the fun and hate the heat, sweat, band director, and the list goes on, but still they come back year after year no matter what the private teacher has to say.

The practice room is great, if that is what is done with the extra time. By the way, how many directors will 'let' one be in the band without marching? I don't believe that is allowed in this area.

I really had no intent on bringing up an old topic, but just think many persons knock an organization based on a belief that marching band is somehow detrimental to a persons musical growth.

In case you wonder, the instrument I carried in college weighed in at 35-40 pounds and we had people vying for all the instruments. It was the "fun" we had that kept everyone coming back.

Remember, all of us continue to play (particularly after the age of 40) because it is "fun" and because of the social aspects.

Follow Ups: