Re: Why tuba and not some other instrument?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gary Press on August 05, 2001 at 16:24:23:

In Reply to: Why tuba and not some other instrument? posted by Les Smith on August 02, 2001 at 16:40:25:

Okay...I have a confession to make (cringes). I originally started on .... violin! Yes..yes..I know, but I was young and foolish back then!

Anyway, when I was around 12 or 13 I remember seeing an old sousaphone backstage at our junior high school. I thought it was so cool-looking! The band had played concerts at the elementary schools to "drum up business" and I was part of the string quartet that tagged along, so I was invited to the band's "end of year" party. That's when it happened!

The band director sat down next to me as I was lounging by the pool and asked what i had planned for the summer. He asked if I might be interested in learning a band instrument and suggested tuba. Sounded good to me, so I went for it.

At first, it was just something fun to do. Simply put, it was just more fun than violin for me. That in itself sold me on it, but I really just fell in love with the sound.

I guess I also thought it was good way to attract girls too! Ha! Such a young fool! ;-)

Follow Ups: