Re: Uses for a small F

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sam Gnagey on August 05, 2001 at 21:03:08:

In Reply to: Uses for a small F posted by Scott on August 05, 2001 at 13:02:05:

I use my small Yamaha F for some of the orchestral rep. that I do on my job. I find it is the instrument of choice for all the Berlioz. I like it for some of the early Germanic literature as well. For instance I found that the Brahms German Requium lies well on the F. I've even done some of the Wagner early Basstuba parts like Rienzi on F. The top part of Rite of Spring makes good use of it. Mendelssohn, Saint Saens and even Bruckner 4 come to mind. About the most adventursome(maybe weird) I've been on F in orchestra is doing the top part to Also sprach Zarathustra. Where the different timbre and projection in it's meaty range worked well as a foil to the Contrabasstuba on the bottom part. It works great as a solo horn on much of the newer literature. I find the sound a bit too light for our brass quintet, but these guys play quintets a bit on the heavy side like the bunch of orchestra players that they are. Although it works great in chamber music when playing 4th part in trombone quartets. I think you have to be open to the its possibilities, aware of the its limitations and flexible enough to go with its strengths. You notice I don't suggest playing Bydlo on it.

Follow Ups: