Re: Comments from an old tuba player

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by (Young) Tubist on August 06, 2001 at 10:39:10:

In Reply to: Comments from an old tuba player posted by Bruce H on August 06, 2001 at 09:43:02:

I agree with some of the things you said and disagree with others. You are right, it seems that we now need to have more tubas. My theory is that the talent level of the top young players around is so high that we are looking for anything to give us that edge on the competition. A great player could do his audition all on a good CC, but a player of EQUAL ability using two tubas will have an advantage. As to kids playing musically, I agree somewhat, but more than that I think the "everything loud" thing is a phase most people my age go through (myself included). Up until I was a junior in high school I would just play everything damn loud. I think I got into trouble when I thought sousaphone playing (where I would get much love and admiration as loudest) to be the same as tuba playing. Another thing, was all my band directors told me to play louder and so I would attempt to play out more. Once I started taking private lessons I began to learn the importance of wide dynamic range. Don't lose hope. When that arrogant high schooler goes to college, music major or not, he will learn quickly he is not "the man" anymore. Have a nice day!

Follow Ups: