Re: Feelings about the Jupiter 582S

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck on August 06, 2001 at 14:47:01:

In Reply to: Feelings about the Jupiter 582S posted by Ricky Lopez on August 06, 2001 at 13:40:09:

Why have you decided that you need a silverplated tuba with piston valves? Yes, they look really nice, but is there a reason beyond that? Are you taking lessons? If so, what does your teacher recommend? If not, I recommend that you take some lessons with your school instrument before deciding to drop a couple grand on a tuba.

So after saying that, I will address your actual question -

There haven't been many good comments on this BBS regarding Jupiter tubas. They look very, very nice and write good advertising. I've played their horns and haven't been overwhelmingly impressed. On the horn I played, the tone was a bit dull and the pitch was a little funny. On a brass ensemble tour we did a workshop and I sat next to someone who played one and was having terrible problems with his valves.

So, my recommendation is keep looking and broaden your spectrum of possibilities. Play a whole bunch of horns and decide which one sounds the best to you. DO NOT pick the one looks the best and has the best manufacturer's description.

Follow Ups: