Re: Comments from an old tuba player

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by lisa on August 06, 2001 at 16:44:47:

In Reply to: Comments from an old tuba player posted by Bruce H on August 06, 2001 at 09:43:02:

I partially agree with some of these thoughts.
I believe it is the player, not the tuba. A truly talented player could play whatever tuba and make it sound like a million bucks. Sure, for most a better horn will be easier to play (myself included), but I don't believe it possible to never practice and be able to pick up a Yorkbrunner and sound like Mr. Pokorny because the horn cost a ton of dough. CC tubas are becoming the accepted standard, and I believe it is simply musical evolution. For some reason the role of British baritone horns was taken over by euphonium in wind ensembles... The bass saxophone, alto clarinet, and other such instruments have become less common in wind bands. This is not to say that the BB-flat tuba will ever fall to obscurity, because it won't. It just seems that trends among pros will determine the role that any instrument takes. Young players especially have supple minds, and they will emulate the pros and their teachers and role models... hence, the rise in high schoolers playing CC and even bass tubas. I believe that we as a society in general like to conform, and perhaps the simplest reason for the tuba world taking the path it is would be that we, as hopeful professionals, are doing what the successful established pros have shown works. We are passing this knowledge and philosophy onto our students, who will in turn pass it onto theirs.
I play three horns for variety. I believe I could do anything on one as either of the other (or on a BB-flat for that matter).
Musicality... yes, i have seen younger players who think that the ability to play faster and louder and higher than everyone else is the most important element of playing. They may be better players than I will ever become, but as long as musicality is lost, an essential ingredient to being a truly well-rounded player will be lacking.
On the comment about tuba overpowering violins... I attended a concert where there was a large chorus and a full orchestra. (It was a performance of the Hallelujah Chorus from Messiah.) Someone had pulled a timpani part for the tuba player. I swear that the tuba player did overpower the entire orchestra and chorus as well! I'm not sure it was enjoyable though!
Just a bunch of random thoughts... Sorry to be so redundant!

Follow Ups: